PDE > Educators > Certification > Out of State > National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Credential
Holds A National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Credential:
- Identify the comparable Pennsylvania certificate for which you will be applying (see Types of Certificates). Special Note: If applying for a certification in Special Education, you must already hold or qualify and apply for a Pennsylvania certificate in an appropriate content area. Refer to CSPG 61 (Grade-Level Scope of Certificates section) for more information.
- Obtain all official transcripts (both bachelors and beyond) in college-sealed, unopened envelopes. A bachelor’s degree from a nationally accredited college/university is a base requirement for certification.
- Obtain a copy of your current and valid professional level state certificate comparable to the PA certificate you are seeking.
- Obtain a notarized copy of your National Board credential.
- The certification tests are not required under this route to certification. The required tests will still be requested in your TIMS application as the determination to waive the tests is not made by TIMS. It is determined by the certification specialist at the time the application is evaluated.
- Complete and submit the application in TIMS.
- All applicants for initial certification in PA must apply for a Level I credential type. If approved under this route, a Level II will be granted at the time the application is approved.
- After completing the payment selection and successfully SUBMITTING your application in TIMS, you will be provided a link to the application cover sheet. Include the cover sheet with all required documents and mail to the address indicated on the cover sheet.
- All certification requirements including testing should be met for any other subject areas applied for before submitting the required documentation for review.
- Electronic payment accepted in TIMS.