Skip Navigation LinksPDE > Educators > Certification > Out of State

Out of State

Please refer to the following links for information on Pennsylvania certification requirements and how to apply:  

Frequently Asked Questions - Applicants Prepared Outside of Pennsylvania

Out of State certification Routes

Holds a valid National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Credential comparable to a Pennsylvania certificate in subject and grade level scope

Holds an active/valid out-of-state certificate with two (2) years of successful classroom teaching experience (Instructional certification areas only)

Completed an approved preparation program outside of Pennsylvania

  • For candidates without an active/valid professional out of state certificate PLUS two (2) years successful classroom teaching experience.  
  • For all education specialist credential subject areas.    
Administrative, supervisory or superintendent credential

Educated outside of the United States