Chapter 339 Plan
Pennsylvania requires all school districts to have a K-12 School Counseling Plan as part of Chapter 339. Resources on this page, as well as this entire Toolkit website, serve as core content to help districts build their plan.
- Professional Development for Creating a district-wide K-12 Counseling Plan: Groups of districts should work together to coordinate an effective professional development program to plan and create K-12 School Counseling Plans. PDE-funded consultants are available to groups of school districts in PA on a limited basis. Contact Mike Thompson or Betty Holmboe to explore services that might be available to help your group of districts.
- Background on PA School Code, the PA Companion Guide & Tools for Plan Development (PDF): This one page overview explains the relationship between Chapter 339, Chapter 12 and Chapter 4 of the Pa. School Code including references to the Academic Standards for Career Education and Work. The ASCA National Model, the PA Companion Guide and other tools are also referenced. This is an effective one page handout on how school counseling and college and career success fit together.
- PA Companion Guide to the National ASCA Model: The Pennsylvania Companion Guide to the ASCA National Model addresses the unique offerings and requirements of school counseling programs in the Commonwealth. The PA Companion Guide is designed to assist counselors in providing for the academic, career, and personal/social needs of all students. It will also help answer questions about the relevance of a school counseling program to the academic mission of the school.
- Tools for Developing a Comprehensive K-12 Guidance & Counseling Plan (PDF): This document provides school district counselors with a step-by-step process, a framework, resources and best practice models for developing their district plan. In Pennsylvania, school counselors are integral in the academic, career, and personal/social development of all PreK-12 students.
- Step by Step Guide: How to build, implement, sustain and evaluate a comprehensive school counseling program (PDF): Build your K-12 counseling program one step at a time. This document provides seven principles to ensure a successful program, four tips for program development success and the basic steps of program development.
- Professional Development Models (PDF): The PDE consultants have developed 5 models of professional development with recommended topics for each training plan. These models can help a district create their own professional development plan or help a group of districts decide what assistance they need from the consultants. The strongest plans and programs result from groups who have followed Level 5, the 4 day professional development model.
- Guidelines/Must-Haves for K-12 Counselor Professional Development (Word): This worksheet for profession development participants identifies ten important questions that all K-12 counseling plan development and implementation participants should be able to answer after the training.
Resources Available to Help Your Team Build Your Plan
- K-12 Counseling Plan Outline and Template (Word): Use this format to create your K-12 School Counseling Plan. By following this format, your district will meet the requirements of Chapter 339 and will have a document to guide your program development and implementation.
- Program Development Timeline 2013-14 (Word): Following the steps in the K-12 Counseling Plan Outline, this timeline form allows a school district to document a timeline for completing each section of the K-12 Counseling Plan. School district teams work together to determine the timeline that will work most effectively for their district and planning team and can fill out this form to ensure that they are considering all parts of the plan.
- Counseling for Career Success Advisory Committee (Word): Each district must recruit and use an advisory committee that represents the stakeholders both within and outside of the school. The five stakeholder groups must be represented. Use this form to collect names, title and stakeholder group.
- Comprehensive School Counseling Program Delivery System (Word): This form from ASCA helps a planning team think through addressing all counseling domains. This provides an overview on how services are delivered. It is one of the required items in the Chapter 339 template.
- Monthly Counseling Calendar (Word): Form to document monthly counseling activities in the three domains: academic, personal and career
- Curriculum Action Plan by Grade (Excel): Program content and lesson plans are documented for each grade. Note there is a tab on the bottom of the spreadsheet for each grade. Other information collected includes ASCA and CEW domain, support materials, numbers of students affected, evaluation and assessment and stakeholders. This tool assists in understand what has been delivered and what will be delivered at each grade level.
- CEW 101 Series: Career Education and Work Standards Key Topics and Activities
- CEW 101: Key Topics provide the theme and or key idea of the individual standards for each grade band. This is a quick overview to help a stakeholder gain familiarity of the standards. They can be used to inform and engage educators and community, to develop a crosswalk with other academic standards, and for the team to work with curriculum directors for curricular integration.
- CEW 101: Activities provide an overview of teacher-led activities for classroom and beyond and address the CEW standards, by strand and by grade band. These are ready-to-use activities that can be woven into curriculum at every level, effectively addressing the standards.
- Career Portfolio Components: "I" Statements (Word): "I" Statements provide student-centered activities and competencies which address the CEW standards, for each strand at each grade level. They can be used for curriculum integration and as a guide for career portfolio development. All grade bands and standards are shown in this document. The letters in parentheses after each item is the alignment to the CEW standards.
- Organizing Career Resources & Examples (Word): Use this document to organize the most critical and important career resources available to your district.
- CTC Center Strategies (Word): Form to document student, parent and educator awareness of career and technical center offerings and opportunities.
- Career Domain Action Plan Form: CTC and Community Representatives (Word): Form to document three program goals to connect to the career and technical center and to community representatives.
- PDE 339 Audit Documentation and Evidence Guide (PDF): Documentation and evidence needed to meet PDE 339 audit requirements for the school counseling plans and programs from each sending district are listed in this document.
Completed Plan Examples
Student Career Plan Resources