Begin Main Content Area

Emergency Permit Application

Please contact the school district where you wish to apply for more information on requirements, processes, and procedures to work in their school. The hiring district completes the hiring process, including setting the compensation rate and designating assignments. If you do not hold a qualifying valid and active teacher certification issued by the PA Department of Education but have a conferred bachelor's degree, a local education agency (LEA) can hire you as a substitute by requesting an emergency permit.

Note: These may only be issued to public school entities – school districts, intermediate units, career and technology schools, charter schools, and approved private schools. Third party employment agencies (i.e., Source4Teachers, Kelly Staffing, etc.) cannot request an emergency permit.

To apply, look on the right-hand side of the page for the Emergency Permit Request section. Click on the button "Emergency Permit Application."

screenshot showing emergency permit application button