CSPG 49 - Marketing (Distributive) Education
Modified: September 1, 2019
Marketing (Distributive) Education is a program that provides students with subject matter and learning experiences related to the process of planning and implementing the conception, pricing, promotion and distribution of goods and services, which create exchanges to satisfy individual and organizational objectives. It is concerned with marketing, sales, distribution, merchandising, and management including ownership and management of enterprises engaged in marketing.
Grade Level Scope of Certificate
A person holding a new PA Marketing (Distributive) Education certificate is qualified to teach Marketing/Distributive courses to students from grades PK-12.
An educator holding a valid Marketing (Distributive) certificate is qualified to teach the following courses and programs in the following areas (directly related to Marketing (Distributive) Education):
- Marketing information
- Storing and warehousing
- Product/service management and sales promotion
- Small businesses
- Career exploration and skills acquisition
- Effective communication and quality customer service
- Technology utilization
- Cooperative work experiences
The older PA public school Marketing (Distributive) Education Coordinator and also the Distributive Education certificates are applicable for teaching Marketing (Distributive) courses.
The Marketing (Distributive) Education certificate replaces the Marketing (Distributive) Education Coordinator’s certification. This is not the same certification as the Marketing certificate issued under the older Business Education’s Marketing State Board Standards.
An educator certified in this field may provide school staff development services regarding their collegial studies/skills, may serve in the role of mentor and advisor, and may assist students in understanding the “reading” content area materials related to this subject area.
State Program Specific Standards and Guidelines for Certification.
Other CSPG’s for Reference: Business, Computer and Information Technology
PA Code: Chapter 4: §4.23 (d), §4.31, §45.81
THIS REVISION SUPERSEDES ALL EARLIER CSPG’S CARRYING THIS NUMBER AND/OR ADDRESSING THIS SUBJECT. PREVIOUS PRINTING DATES ON THIS SUBJECT: 3/75, 10/76, 1/87, 1/90, 3/92, 7/04, 1/10.
Summary of Changes
|9/2019||Updated grade scope for consistency and clarification.|
- Clarification of Cooperative Education: Marketing/Distributive Ed PK-12 cannot replace the Cooperative Education certificate, but may be used for Cooperative Education duties in the Marketing (Distributive) Ed Program only.
- Certificate code, certificate title, guidelines title and CSPG title corrected and updated to 1666 on 1/1/2010 – Marketing (Distributive) Education PK-12, effective 9/1/2003.
- Certificates issued under the incorrect code will be recalled and reissued.
- Matching Praxis content area test is titled Marketing Education and coded as 0561. The former test was coded as 0560.
- Grade scope of this certificate was corrected based on § 49.85
- Certificate title was listed as: Marketing/Distributive Ed Teacher Coordinator-1668.
- Marketing (Distributive) Education was approved as a 7-12 certificate area until regulation changes in 9/1/2001 approved it as a K-12 certificate area.
- Corresponding older certificate titles as listed in CSPG #61 of 1/1987:
- Marketing (Distributive) Ed Teacher Coordinator,1668-CSPG #61, 1/87
- Distributive Education,1665-CSPG #61, 1/87 (issued prior to 1668)
Marketing 7-12 (1640) is one of five older Business areas of certification and not to
be confused with Marketing (Distributive) Education PK-12 explained in this CSPG.
The Praxis test corresponding to Marketing 7-12 (1640) was test code 0793. This
Marketing 7-12 certificate was no longer issued after 9/30/2003 and was replaced by
Business Computer Information Technology PK-12 (BCIT), a comprehensive certificate
covering the older five business areas in scope. The Praxis test corresponding to BCIT
is Business Education 0100. The older business Marketing 7-12 certificate cannot be
used to teach computer education, nor can it be substituted for the in-depth
Marketing/Distributive Ed PK-12 certificate program.