Family and Consumer Sciences
Family and consumer sciences is the field of study focused on the science and art of living well in our complex world.
The primary areas of focus in the field of family and consumer sciences include:
- Culinary arts, hospitality, and tourism;
- Food science and nutrition;
- Health management and wellness;
- Housing and interior design;
- Human development and family relations;
- Personal and family finance; and
- Textiles, apparel, and retailing.
Sustainable practices, consumerism, and leadership principles are woven throughout the content areas.
Through research, experiential education, and technology, family and consumer sciences professionals help people develop the essential knowledge and skills to:
- Lead better lives;
- Be work and career ready;
- Build strong families; and
- Make meaningful contributions to our communities.
Family and consumer sciences professionals are found in:
- Academic education at the early childhood, elementary, secondary, and higher education levels;
- Community education for adults and youth, including Cooperative Extension programs;
- Business and industry;
- Government; and
- Health and human services