Military Family Education Support
Support for military dependents’ education was enhanced by the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children Act, Feb. 2, 2012, P.L. 42, No. 6. This act was signed into law on February 2, 2012. It authorizes the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to join the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children; providing for the form and enforcement of the compact; imposing additional powers and duties on the Governor, the Secretary of the Commonwealth and the compact commissioner; and establishing the State Council on Interstate Educational Opportunity for Military Children.
Purpose of Compact
It is the purpose of this compact to remove barriers to educational success imposed on children of military families because of frequent moves and deployment of their parents by:
- Facilitating the timely enrollment of children of military families and ensuring that they are not placed at a disadvantage due to difficulty in the transfer of education records from the previous school district(s) or variations in entrance/age requirements.
- Facilitating the student placement process through which children of military families are not disadvantaged by variations in attendance requirements, scheduling, sequencing, grading, course content or assessment.
- Facilitating the qualification and eligibility for enrollment, educational programs, and participation in extracurricular academic, athletic, and social activities
- Facilitating the on-time graduation of children of military families
- Providing for the promulgation and enforcement of administrative rules implementing the provisions of this compact.
- Providing for the uniform collection and sharing of information between and among member states, schools and military families under this compact.
- Promoting coordination between this compact and other compacts affecting military children.
- Promoting flexibility and cooperation between the educational system, parents and the student in order to achieve educational success for the student.
State Council On Interstate Educational Opportunity For Military Children
The State Council on Interstate Educational Opportunity for Military Children provides guidance and assistance with the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is in the process of re-organizing its State Council and members. Please check back for more details in the future.
For more information about the Military Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children in Pennsylvania, please contact the PDE MIC3 Coordinator:
Barbara Clemmer, State Compact Commissioner, 717-425-5728. Email:
firstname.lastname@example.org, PA Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission
ArmyJacqueline Schultz, CLEOSCarlisle Barracksjacqueline.email@example.com
| (717) 245-4555Jennifer Williams, CYS CoordinatorTobyhanna Army Depotjennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org
| (570) 615-6559
Joseph Gordon, School Liaison
Naval Support Activity Mechanicsburg and Philadelphia PA
Joseph.email@example.com | (757) 406-1083