Regional Qualifying Competitions
Regional qualifying competitions
will be hosted by each of the Commonwealth’s Intermediate Units (IU) at a date
and time identified by each IU. Locate your regional IU.
The one-day regional
qualifying competition will be comprised of three phases, and each phase will be evaluated by a
panel of judges determined by each IU (view the regional competition rubric for details). The two phases are as follows
- Phase 1 - Device/Project Documentation: 1,000-word document submitted prior to the regional qualifying competition
- Phase 2 - Device/Project Presentation: 20-minute presentation during the regional qualifying competition
Rules for PHASE 1: Device/Project Documentation
- Research and identify a real-world challenge facing Pennsylvanians.
- Design/create a new and innovative device to solve this problem using a stipend. Proof of purchase (receipts) for all components used in the creation of the device is required.
- Document their journey throughout the duration of this project and submit this documentation to the regional IU prior to their competition. It is highly recommended that each team documents their journey throughout the development of their project or prototype using multimedia platforms/devices for use during a virtual competition.
- Project documentation will be evaluated based on the criteria outlined in the rubric.
Rules for PHASE 2: Device/Project Presentation
- Demonstrate device to a panel of judges (based on locality of the competition).
- Articulate the purpose of the device to address a local community need and its benefit to Pennsylvanians.
- Document and communicate the Engineering Design Process.
- Showcase craftsmanship and creativity of the device.
- Explain scalability of the device for mass production (including calculations).
- Articulate a plan for spending additional stipend funds to improve the device if chosen as a finalist.
- Use visual/media graphics throughout the presentation.
- Oral communication skills include organization of content, fluency, and confidence.
Awards will be presented to all participating teams at the
conclusion of the regional qualifying competitions. First place, second place,
and third place teams will receive additional recognition. The first place team
will move on to the virtual state competition in May.
Prior to the competition, regional winners from each
intermediate unit will be recognized.
the completion of the competition, Grand Champion, First Runner Up, Second
Runner Up, and Third Runner Up teams will be recognized. A college scholarship will be offered to the
Grand Champion, First Runner Up, and Second Runner Up teams. Scholarship recipients
will receive a letter containing more information.