Begin Main Content Area

College and Career Education

The Pennsylvania Department of Education exercises limited authority over post-secondary institutions.  Colleges and universities are required to be authorized to award degrees.  Programs of study must be approved at some types of colleges and universities.  Institutions that offer career training are known as Private Licensed Schools.  These institutions must be licensed in Pennsylvania and all programs must be approved.  Registration is offered for institutions that operate from other states and enroll residents of Pennsylvania via distance education.  The Department investigates student complaints against all types of postsecondary institutions.

The Pennsylvania Department of Education does not offer student loans or grants to students.  Students are encouraged to contact the financial aid office at the institution they hope to attend for information on eligibility for federal and state financial aid.