Commercial Vehicle Investigation I
Course Number: CV-402
Course Length: 10 Days (80 Hours)
This comprehensive course combines presentations by commercial vehicle component manufacturers with insights from experienced commercial vehicle collision investigators. This combination of instructional expertise is designed to improve knowledge and skills of officers who inspect commercial vehicles prior to and/or after a crash. Emphasis is placed on component design and normal operational performance, indications of normal and abnormal wear, and component failure. This course provides an understanding of commercial vehicle performance characteristics necessary to apply appropriate collision investigative techniques and procedures based upon inspection of the vehicle.
The course curriculum includes the following:
- Tractor and Trailer Nomenclature
- On-Board Computer Data, Tachograph Charts, Log Books
- Brake System Configuration and Operation
- Wheels, Rims and Tires
- Steering, Suspension and Frames
- Trailer Coupling Devices - Fifth Wheel, Dollys
- Cargo Tie-Downs and Weight Distribution
NOTE: All commercial vehicle investigation courses can be taken in any order.