Become a Sponsor/Application Process
Sponsors receive payments from USDA, through the PA Department of Education, based on the number of meals they serve. All meals are served free to eligible children.
Sponsors are organizations that manage the SFSP feeding sites. Sponsors must:
- Attend an Annual Training
- Locate and recruit eligible site(s)
- Hire, train and supervise staff and volunteers
- Arrange for meals to be prepared or delivered
- Monitor their site(s)
- Prepare claims for reimbursement
- Ensure that their SFSP is sustainable through community partnerships, fundraising and volunteer recruitment.
The following types of organizations may be sponsors:
- Public or private nonprofit schools
- Units of local, municipal, county, tribal or State government
- Private nonprofit organizations
- Public or private nonprofit camps
- Public or nonprofit universities or colleges
How to Become a Sponsor – The Application Process
The steps to become a sponsor include:
- Instructions for completing the New Sponsor preliminary paperwork can be found at the CN PEARS New Sponsor Application Package Site.
- The Agreement Number will be assigned by the State Agency after the forms are submitted.
- After the paperwork is reviewed and processed, Sponsors will receive an email containing a password and login for access into the Child Nutrition Pennsylvania Application and Reimbursement System (CN PEARS) and instructions for completing the CN PEARS Application Packet.
- Claims for reimbursements are also managed through CN PEARS.
The required paperwork and reference manuals for new SFSP sponsors are available on the PEARS New Sponsor Application Package website. Be sure to select Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)
Sponsors that participate in another Child Nutrition Program such as the School Nutrition Program or the Child and Adult Care Food Program should contact the SFSP team at Ra-SFSP@pa.gov
for information on becoming a New SFSP Sponsor and adding the SFSP to your nutrition offerings .