PIL Induction Requirements Reminder for Principals, Assistant and Vice Principals
*Please distribute this document to all first-time assistant/vice principals and principals and to central office/HR staff.
What is the requirement?
Principals, assistant principals, and vice principals are required to complete a Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE)-approved Principal Induction Program and convert from an Administrative I to an Administrative II certificate within five years of initial appointment as a principal, assistant principal, or vice principal in commonwealth public schools. There are two exceptions:
- Administrative (Type 78) certificates that are valid for 99 years require completion of the Principal Induction Program only if initially hired in a public school as a principal, vice, or assistant principal position on or after January 1, 2008.
- Administrative Provisional I holders who complete PIL Induction as the program requirement for certification must complete the induction and testing requirement and convert to an Administrative I within two years of employment.
Who must fulfill the requirements?
- All persons issued an Administrative certificate prior to January 1, 2008, but who are employed for the first time as a principal or assistant/vice principal in a commonwealth public school on or after January 1, 2008.
- All persons issued an Administrative I certificate on or after January 1, 2008 who are employed as principal or assistant/vice principal in a commonwealth public school.
- All persons hired on an Administrative Provisional I certificate who complete PIL Induction as the program requirement for certification must complete a PDE-approved
Principal Induction Program within two years from the date of employment in the position.
Administrative Provisional I holders who complete an approved Administrative certificate program as their program requirement must complete the program and testing within two years, but have five years from the date of hire in which to complete the PIL Induction.
Please refer to the Pennsylvania Inspired Leadership (PIL) Continuing Professional Education Requirements Reminder Penn*Link for information regarding the Act 45 professional development requirements.
Please note that all administrators serving in PIL-covered positions, including those working to fulfill the Principal Induction requirement, must complete continuing professional education hours in approved courses.
This requirement begins on the date of service in a PIL-covered position. The school/district PIMS staffing report will inform PDE/PERMS of the administrator’s change to a PIL-designated title; however, the requirement may not be visible on the PERMS record for several months.
Where to find information:
For additional information, please contact:
Carla Wilson, PA Inspired Leadership Program