Innovative Teacher and Principal Residency Programs
The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) has awarded $2.1 million in grants to 11 universities to support programs that increase and retain the number of qualified educators and school leaders serving the Commonwealth's public schools.
This year's round of grants will ensure equitable expansion of one of the nation's most aggressive clinical residency initiatives. This is the second year of funding for the year-long residency programs for teachers and principals. The following is the list of 2019-20 Innovative Teacher and Principal Residency grant recipients.
Implementation/Expansion Grant Awards – This funding may be used to provide financial support to teachers or principals who undergo a full year of clinical experience before earning their instructional or administrative certification.
- Lehigh University, Bethlehem - $298,665
- Robert Morris University, Moon - $199,416
- Millersville University, Millersville - $299,599
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia - $299,869
- Clarion University, Clarion - $74,598
- Drexel University, Philadelphia - $200,000
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana - $200,000
- Penn State Harrisburg, Middletown - $300,000
Planning Grant Awards – Planning grants are used to identify and develop strategies for embedding a full year of clinical residency experience for teacher or school leader candidates within their preparation program.
- Temple University, Philadelphia - $75,000
- Gannon University, Erie - $75,000
- Penn State Main Campus, State College - $75,000
The following document contains the guidelines and requirements in use for the 2019-20 grant competition:
The following documents accompanied the Guidelines:
The following documents and accompanying forms provided further application requirements: Innovative Teacher and Principal Residency Program Grant Application Requirements 2019-20 (PDF) (Note updated email address for completed applications)