Secondary Career and Technical Education Subsidy
A proposed allocation of $59,639,000 is available for the 2018-19 Secondary Career and Technical Education Subsidy (SCTES).
The formula for the SCTES is described in section 2502.8 of the Pennsylvania Public School Code.
Reimbursement is provided for the following vocational programs: agriculture education, distributive education, health occupations education, home economics education (gainful), business education, technical education, trade and industrial education, or any other occupational-oriented program approved by the Secretary of Education.
The subsidy is calculated as follows:
- Determine the vocational average daily membership (VADM) by: multiplying the average daily membership of students in vocational programs in a career and technology center by 0.21; multiplying the average daily membership of students in vocational programs in a school district (SD) or charter school by 0.17.
- Determine the based earned for reimbursement (BER) using the state median actual instruction expense per weighted average daily membership (AIE/WADM) and the equalized mills (EqM):
BER = State Median AIE/WADM – Highest EqM – SD EqM x $200
Highest EqM – Lowest EqM
- The fully funded amount equals the lesser of the AIE/WADM or the BER multiplied by the greater of the market value/personal income aid ratio or 0.3750 multiplied by the VADM.
- For the 2000-2001 school year and each school year thereafter, any additional funding provided by the Commonwealth over the amount provided for the 1998-1999 school year will be distributed to area vocational-technical schools, to school districts and charter schools with eight or more vocational programs, and to school districts and charter schools offering a vocational agriculture education program.
- Based on Section 2502.6 of the School Code, the actual allocation is proportionately reduced so that the total does not exceed the amount appropriated. The following file provides Governor Wolf’s proposed funding allocations in the 2018-19 fiscal year.
2018-19 Proposed SCTES Allocation (Excel)