Children who come to kindergarten without all the skills they need often stay behind and struggle in school. Quality pre-kindergarten prepares children for reading and math, but also for paying attention, following directions and getting along with others.
Pre-kindergarten gives children a chance to learn, become excited about school and be better students.
By enrolling your eligible child in quality pre-kindergarten, your child has a better chance of being ready for kindergarten and grade school. This strong early start in pre-kindergarten means they have a better chance of doing well in school, going on to college or career training, and getting a good job. All of this can start by enrolling your child in a Pre-K Counts classroom!
Pre-K Counts classrooms will:
- Have teachers with the education and expertise to teach young children;
- Use a curriculum that will help your child grow, academically and socially;
- Regularly review your child's progress and choose teaching and learning activities that are best for your child;
- Help you and your child adjust to pre-kindergarten and smoothly move on to kindergarten;
- Offer a small class size (20 students per one teacher and one aide) so that your child can have plenty of one-on-one time with the teachers.
By enrolling your eligible child in Pre-K Counts, you can give your child a great start to a bright future.
Pre-K Counts is free to eligible families. Providers may charge for non Pre-K Counts programming such as wraparound child care.
Contact the Pre-K Counts program directly for enrollment information. There are Pre-K Counts classrooms in most of Pennsylvania’s 67 counties. To find one near you, visit www.compass.state.pa.us and click on “Early Learning and Development Programs,” “Find a Provider,” “Preschool,” and PA Pre-K Counts.