Begin Main Content Area

Good Moral Character (GMC)

Expand AllClick here for a more accessible version

​What is the good moral character (GMC) process?

How long does the review process take?

What factors are considered in a Good Moral Character Review?

What happens if my application is denied?

What is the difference between a hearing and reconsideration of the record?

If I have a misdemeanor or felony conviction, will my application be denied?

If I answer yes to Question 1 regarding child abuse unfounded, founded, or indicated, what will I be required to do?

If I answer yes to Questions 2-5, what will I be required to do?

If I answer yes to Questions 6 or 7, what will I be required to do?

What should be included in my letter of explanation?

What is a criminal conviction?

Which criminal convictions are reviewed?

Will a DUI conviction be reviewed?

What is a summary offense?

How do I find out if my conviction is a summary offense?

What if I get charged or convicted while attending college?

If my GMC issue was already reviewed and approved by the Deputy Secretary, what do I need to do when submitting a new application?

How do I answer the question about criminal convictions if I successfully completed the Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) program?

If I am currently on Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD), what are my options?

What are certified court documents?

What court documents am I required to submit?

How do I obtain certified court documents?

What should I do if court documents are no longer available?

Will I be certified if my GMC issue is cleared?