PDE > Educators > Certification > Out-of-State > Holds an Active/Valid Professional Level Certificate with Two Years of Teaching Experience (Instructional Only)
Holds an Active/Valid Professional Level Certificate with Two Years of Teaching Experience (Instructional Only)
- Identify the comparable Pennsylvania certificate for which you will be applying (see Types of Certificates). Special Note: If applying for a certification in Special Education, you must already hold or qualify and apply for a Pennsylvania certificate in an appropriate content area. Refer to CSPG 61 (Grade-Level Scope of Certificates section) for more information.
- Obtain all official transcripts (both bachelors and beyond) in college-sealed, unopened envelopes. A bachelor’s degree from a nationally accredited college/university is a base requirement for certification.
- Obtain a copy of your current and valid professional level state certificate comparable to the PA certificate you are seeking.
- Obtain proof of two (2) full years of classroom teaching experience by having the Verification of Experience Form PDE338V completed by your current/previous employers. Submit one form for each non-PA PK-12 employer.
- Confirm that the required content area test scores(s) have been reported to PDE directly from the test administrator – ETS, ACTFL or ES Pearson. For test information, refer to the Certification Test and Score Requirements spreadsheet.
- You must take the PA required tests. No other tests can be substituted.
- The basic skills assessments are not required under this route to certification. The basic skills tests will still be requested in your TIMS application as the determination to waive the basic skills requirement is not made by TIMS. It is determined by the certification specialist at the time the application is evaluated.
- Complete and submit the application in TIMS.
- All applicants for initial certification in PA must apply for a Level I credential type.
- After completing the payment selection and successfully SUBMITTING your application in TIMS, you will be provided a link to the application cover sheet. Include the cover sheet with all required documents and mail to the address indicated on the cover sheet.
- All certification requirements including testing should be met for all subject areas applied for before submitting the required documentation for review.
- Electronic payment accepted in TIMS.