Identify the comparable Pennsylvania certificate for which you will be applying (see
Types of Certificates). Special Note: If applying for a certification in Special Education PreK-8 or 7-12 (issued only until 12/31/21), you must already hold or qualify and apply for a Pennsylvania certificate in an appropriate grade comparable content area. If applying for Special
Education PK-8 or 7-12, your completed application must be submitted in TIMS in
the Awaiting Evaluation status by 12/31/21. PDE will begin issuing the Special Education PreK-12 certificate as an initial or stand-alone subject area on January 1, 2022. Refer to
CSPG 61 (Grade-Level Scope of Certificates section) for more information.
Obtain all official
transcripts (both bachelors and beyond). If submitting transcripts electronically, do not submit your transcript request until you have submitted your application in TIMS. A bachelor's degree from a nationally accredited college/university is a base requirement for certification.
Obtain a photocopy of your current and valid professional level state certificate comparable to the PA certificate you are seeking.
Obtain proof of two (2) full years of classroom teaching experience by having the
Verification of Experience Form PDE338V completed by your current/previous employers. Submit one form for each non-PA PK-12 employer.
Confirm that the required content area test scores(s) have been reported to PDE directly from the test administrator – ETS, ACTFL or ES Pearson. For test information, refer to the
Certification Test and Score Requirements (Excel) spreadsheet.
- You must take the PA required content test(s) and meet the PA qualifying score. No other tests can be substituted.
- You must meet the passing score under this route. GPA method of scoring is not acceptable.
- The basic skills assessments and Fundamental Subjects test are not required under this route to certification. The tests will still be requested in your TIMS application as the determination to waive these test requirements is not made by TIMS. It is determined by the certification specialist at the time the application is evaluated.
Complete and submit the application in TIMS.
- All applicants for initial certification in PA must apply for a Level I credential type.
- After completing the payment selection and successfully SUBMITTING your application in TIMS, you will be provided a link to the application cover sheet. First upload all applicable documents possible. Follow directions for submitting
transcripts. If documents cannot be uploaded or sent electronically, include the cover sheet with the documents and mail to the address indicated on the cover sheet.
- All certification requirements including testing should be met for all subject areas applied for before submitting the required documentation for review.
- Electronic payment (see Application Fees) accepted in TIMS.