CSPG 10 - Letter of Equivalency for Master's Degree and Baccalaureate Degree
Modified: October 1, 2022
The Letter of Equivalency for Master’s Degree and the Letter of Equivalency for Baccalaureate Degree are issued to qualify the holder for salary increments provided by law. Such letters are issued in accordance with the provisions of 22 Pa. Code §49.191.
Policies and Procedures
- Letter of Equivalency for Master’s Degree: This letter is issued to persons holding a valid Instructional I, Instructional II, Educational Specialist I, or Educational Specialist II certificate, or their equivalents, upon the accumulation of 36 hours of graduate-level credit. The applicant must earn a minimum of 18 academic graduate credits in the content area of their certification area(s) at a college or university approved to offer graduate work. A maximum of 18 credits of the credit requirement may be satisfied through an in-service programs offered by a Pennsylvania Intermediate Unit approved by the Secretary of Education for meeting the master's equivalency requirements.
- Letter of Equivalency for Baccalaureate Degree for Vocational Certificate Holders: This letter is issued to an individual holding a
Vocational Instructional I or Vocational Instructional II certificate, or their
equivalents, upon the accumulation of 90 college credits. The applicant must
earn at least 18 credit hours at a Pennsylvania-approved baccalaureate
degree granting institution. Twelve
(12) of the final 30 credit hours may be satisfied, in full or in part, through
in-service programs offered by a Pennsylvania Intermediate Unit approved by the
Secretary for meeting baccalaureate equivalency requirements.
For each Letter of Equivalency, a grade of “C” or better is required in college and university courses in which grades are given and a letter of satisfactory completion is required for all in-service courses used.
Courses completed at state-approved two-year degree granting proprietary schools, junior colleges, or community colleges are not creditable toward either the Letter of Equivalency for Master’s Degree or the Letter of Equivalency for Baccalaureate Degree. Also, Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) are not creditable.
22 Pa. Code §49.191, 24 PS 11-1142 (e)
THIS REVISION SUPERSEDES ALL EARLIER CSPG’S CARRYING THIS NUMBER AND/OR ADDRESSING THIS SUBJECT. PREVIOUS CSPG PRINTING DATES ON THIS SUBJECT: 3/75, 1/87
Summary of Changes
As per 22 Pa. Code § 49.191 (relating to letters of equivalency):
- For the Letter of Equivalency for Master's Degree, clarified that credits are to be earned in the certification area instead of the individual's primary teaching assignment.
- For the Letter of Equivalency for Baccalaureate Degree, removed the requirement that 18 credit of the final 30 credits must be earned at a State-approved college or university; and changed references to Career and Technical Instructional I and II certificates to Vocational Instructional I and II.