CSPG 14 - Act 97 Waiver for Certification
Modified: September 1, 2016
The Act 97 Waiver of Certification (Type 02 Emergency Permit) may be requested by a public school for an individual facing furlough, or who has already been furloughed or demoted by that entity.
- The permit lets the individual work in areas that they are not certified for one calendar year from the date of issuance.
- Posting is not required.
- The educator uses the “Initiate Permit Request” feature to apply in TIMS.
- When the LEA completes, reviews and submits the application to PDE, they affirm (by submission) that request complies with all requirements:
- The employee agreed to accept the position,
- The LEA verified that the employee completed a minimum of 12 semester credit hours in the area for which the waiver is requested,
- The employee agrees to complete an approved teacher preparation program to meet the requirements for certification in the new subject area(s), and
- The time needed for the employee to complete the approved teacher preparation program, pass required tests and become certified is agreeable to the LEA.
- The Bureau can issue a Type 01 emergency permit at the school entity’s request if the employee:
Failure to pursue certification shall result in the revocation of the waiver.A waiver will not be granted if an educator would be used as a replacement for another furloughed employee.
- Is needed for subsequent years, and
- Met the educational obligation inherent to the waiver agreement.
24 P.S. §12-1214
CSPG 2, CSPG 3
This revision supersedes all earlier CSPGs carrying this number and/or addressing this subject. Previous CSPG printing dates on this subject: 1/87, 7/04, 7/10