CSPG 14 - Act 97 Waiver of Certification
Modified: April 26, 2023
The Act 97 Waiver of Certification (Type 02 Emergency Permit) may be requested by a public local education agency (LEA) for a certificated professional employee currently employed by or facing suspension (e.g., furlough) from a LEA.
- The permit qualifies the individual to serve in areas in which they are not certified for one calendar year from the date of issuance.
- Posting is not required.
- The educator uses the “Initiate Permit Request” feature to apply in TIMS.
- When the LEA completes, reviews and submits the application to PDE, they affirm (by submission) that request complies with all requirements:
- The employee agreed to accept the position;
- The LEA verified that the employee completed a minimum of 12 semester credit hours in the area for which the waiver is requested;
- The employee agrees to complete an approved educator preparation program to meet the requirements for certification in the new subject area(s), and
- The time needed for the employee to complete the approved educator preparation program, pass required tests, and become certified is agreeable to the LEA.
- The Bureau can issue a Type 01 Emergency Permit at the school entity’s request if the employee:
Failure to pursue certification shall result in the revocation of the waiver.A waiver will not be granted if an educator would be used as a replacement for another furloughed employee.
- Is needed for subsequent years, and has
- Met the educational obligation inherent to the waiver agreement.
24 P.S. §12-1214
CSPG 2, CSPG 3, CSPG 13
This revision supersedes all earlier CSPGs carrying this number and/or addressing this subject. Previous CSPG printing dates on this subject: 1/87, 7/04, 7/10
Summary of Changes
- Updated formatting and terminology
- Clarified that Act 97 waivers apply to all certified professional school employees at public LEAs