CSPG 4 - Evaluation for Certificate Eligibility by the Bureau of Teacher Certification and Preparation
Modified: July 1, 2004
Under certain circumstances, an evaluation of an applicant’s education and experience may be conducted by the Bureau of Teacher Certification and Preparation. The applicant must meet the standards in effect on the date the application is received by the Bureau.
- Evaluation of Applicants Prepared Outside Pennsylvania
- If there is an interstate certification agreement between Pennsylvania and the state in which the applicant has been prepared for a certificate, the Bureau of Teacher Certification and Preparation will first consider the conditions of the agreement. If the applicant does not meet the requirements as specified in such agreement, he/she may seek a Pennsylvania certificate upon meeting the established Pennsylvania standards for the requested certificate area/field. (See CSPG No. 20)
- Requirements that are ancillary to the interstate certification agreement include minimum GPA and testing.
- For candidates applying on or after September 1, 2003, 22 Pa. Code Chapter 354 requires 6 credits in college-level Mathematics and 6 credits in college-level English Composition/English Literature.
- The Bureau may evaluate an applicant’s education and professional (certificated) experience for purposes of certification when the candidate meets one of the following circumstances:
- has completed a teacher education program approved by the respective state at a college/university and has been recommended by that college/university, or
- has discontinued study within a Pennsylvania-approved preparation/certification program, but has subsequently completed a teacher education program approved by the respective state at a college/university, thus categorizing the candidate as an out-of-state applicant, or
Out of State Certification
- holds a public school certificate issued by another state which is comparable in subject and grade scope to the Pennsylvania Level I certificate being requested, or
Multiple Preparatory Programs
- has professional teacher education preparation in the requested area at two or more state-approved colleges/universities, but cannot secure the recommendation of any of the colleges/universities attended, or
- has completed a state-approved teacher preparatory program at a college/ university at least 7 years prior to applying for the Pennsylvania certificate, and as a result, cannot secure the recommendation of that institution.
- Evaluation of Applicants Educated Outside of the United States
- Applicants whose teacher preparatory program was completed outside of the United States must meet the same standards as other candidates. These applicants must contact the Bureau to request a supplemental set of application instructions. (See CSPG No. 5)
- Evaluation of Applicants Prepared by Pennsylvania Colleges/Universities
- Candidates who have received their teacher preparation through a Pennsylvania program are expected to apply through the recommendation process. However, Pennsylvania college/university graduates may, under exceptional circumstances, apply through
Multiple Preparatory Programs and
Non-recent Preparation described above. They may also apply for evaluation through
Limited Pennsylvania Approved Programs or
Limited Pennsylvania Approved Programs
- When there are too few approved programs to provide reasonable accessibility for candidates to secure certificates in a particular subject area through the normal recommendation process, they may submit an application to the Department for evaluation. The candidate should be aware of the required academic and testing standards for the certification area and submit an application when he/she feels that those standards have been met.
- A candidate may submit an application for evaluation when the candidate has attended a Pennsylvania-approved teacher preparatory college/university, but has secured a waiver letter from the certification officer that verifies either…
- that the candidate is not currently, nor has been in the last 7 years, enrolled in that college’s/university’s certification program for the requested area, or
- the reason(s) why the college/university is waiving the candidate’s requirement to apply for the requested area through its recommendation, thereby directing the candidate to the Bureau of Teacher Certification and Preparation for evaluation.
- National Board Certification
- If the candidate holds a certificate from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards that is comparable to the requested Pennsylvania certificate, the Bureau of Teacher Certification and Preparation will issue the candidate an Instructional II certificate. In addition, these candidates must meet the general requirements in the Pa. School Code. When these candidates apply for certification, they will not be asked to complete any additional requirements for Instructional II certification, including Praxis Series exams.
- Out of State Teachers
- Teachers certified to teach in other states who have completed 3 years of teaching experience during the 7 years immediately prior to application, all of which has been satisfactory, may be certified to teach in the Commonwealth by meeting the content testing requirement only.
22 Pa. Code §§49.13(3), 49.13(9), 49.13(10), 49.171, 49.63, 49.65(b), 49.82
THIS REVISION SUPERSEDES ALL EARLIER CSPGS CARRYING THIS NUMBER AND/OR ADDRESSING THIS SUBJECT. PREVIOUS CSPG PRINTING DATES ON THIS SUBJECT: 3/75, 1/87.