CSPG 43 - Environmental Education
Modified: September 1, 2019
Environmental Education is the science or art of a program of study of the components of ecological systems and their interrelationship with social systems and technologies as they involve the disciplines of resource management, agricultural diversity, government and the impact of human actions on natural systems and their interaction leading to the study of watersheds, threatened and endangered species, pest management and the development of environmental laws and regulations including environmental and ecological principles, role of life and physical sciences, ecosystems, human impact on the environment, and environmental laws and regulations.
Grade Level Scope of Certificate
A person holding a valid PA Environmental Education certificate is qualified to teach environmental education in grades PK-12 and environmental science in grades 7-12.
- A person holding a valid PA certificate in environmental education is qualified to teach environmental education courses such as Pest Management, Resources Management, Ecology, Management Watersheds, etc.
- A person holding a valid PA certificate in environmental education is qualified to teach environmental education in grades PK-12 and environmental science in grades 7-12.
- At the middle level, the environmental education educator will also provide science instruction, adjusted to the students’ abilities when below proficient.
- The certified educator may teach courses to PK-12 students including special education or gifted students within the scope of the certificate.
- Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth and Space Science and General Science certified instructors are also qualified to teach environmental science.
- An educator certified in this field may provide:
- Professional development
- Serve in the role of mentor or advisor
- May assist students in understanding how to read content area materials
Program Specific Guidelines for Certification
PA Public School Code: §1202, §1212, §1604
22 PA Code: Chapter 4: §4.22, §4.23, §4.31
Chapter 49: §49.11, §49.81, §49.142
This revision supersedes all earlier CSPG’s carrying this number and/or addressing this subject. Previous printing dates on this subject: 1973, 3/75, 3/78, 2/82, 1/87, 7/04, 3/17.
Summary of Changes
|9/1/2019||Updated grade scope for consistency and clarification.|
|3/1/2017||Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth and Space Science and|
General Science certified instructors are also qualified to teach