CSPG 45 - World Languages (PK-12)
Modified: June 1, 2017
World language programs develop skills used in communicating, analyzing, and evaluating thoughts through oral and written language.
World language and foreign language are synonymous terms.
Grade Level Scope of Certificate
A person holding a valid Pennsylvania certificate for a specific world language is qualified to teach that world language to students in pre-kindergarten through grade 12.
A list of certificates is on the website: World Languages.
A person holding a valid Pennsylvania certificate for a world language is qualified to teach courses and programs in the target language including: communication; culture; and local, national and global usage.
World language certificate holders may teach non-credit exploratory courses in any language including the culture and tradition of the particular ethnic group speaking that language.
An educator certified in this field may:
- Provide professional development;
- Serve in the role of mentor or advisor; and
- Assist students in understanding how to read content area materials.
Program Specific Guidelines for Certification.
Other CSPGs for reference: Elementary Education
Pa. Public School Code: §1202, §1212, §1604
22 Pa. Code Chapter 4: §4.21(h), §4.22(d), §4.23(d)(3), §4.23(e), §4.25
Chapter 49: §49.11, §49.81, §49.85(5)
This revision supersedes all earlier CSPGs carrying this number and/or addressing this subject. Previous printing dates on this subject: 3/75, 12/90, 7/04, 5/14
Summary of Changes
- Changed terminology – foreign to world languages
- Defined terminology; updated K-12 to PK-12.
- Revised available language list.
- Clarifications to Special Considerations.
- Listed several new world languages.
- The title was changed from Foreign Language to World Language.
CSPG #54: Foreign Language Certifications and Assignment Scope (K-12)
- A certificate endorsed for a foreign language issued after 8/1969 was considered to be a comprehensive-grade level certificate irrespective of any grade level endorsement indicated on the certificate.
- A person holding a certificate endorsed for teaching a foreign language at the elementary grade level is qualified to teach the foreign language activities at the elementary grade or middle school level.
CSPG #54: Certification in Foreign Language
- A person holding a valid certificate endorsed for foreign language may teach activities, such as listening, speaking, reading, and writing the language as well as the foreign culture of ethnic groups speaking that language, at any grade level.