CSPG 48 - Library Science
Modified: September 1, 2019
Library Science is the science or art of gaining knowledge and skills required to develop, organize, store, retrieve, administer, and facilitate the use of collections of information in such formats as books, documents, manuscripts, databases, recorded materials, electronic materials, computer software applications, shared information resources via networks or Internet, etc.
Grade Level Scope of Certificate
A Pennsylvania certificate for Library Science PK-12 is issued for grade PK-12.
- An educator holding a valid Pennsylvania certificate for Library Science PK-12 is qualified to:
- Manage a school library program;
- Be assigned as the school librarian; and
- Teach library science at the elementary, middle, or secondary level.
- The local education agency (LEA) must employ at least one (1) certified Library Science educator when providing a school library program.
- A library paraprofessional aide cannot perform duties that are reserved to the certified school Library Science educator and cannot be utilized to operate a school library independently.
- A library paraprofessional aide may perform book exchange functions and noninstructional library activities under the direction of the certified Library Science educator.
A certificate of public librarianship does not qualify the holder for appointment as a school librarian. A certificate of public librarianship may qualify a person for service in the state’s public library system at municipal, county, and state libraries.
An educator certified in Library Science PK-12 may:
- Provide professional development;
- Serve in the role of mentor advisor; and
- Assist students in understanding how to read content area materials.
Program Specific Guidelines for Certification.
PA Public School Code: §1202, §1212, §1604
22 PA Code: Chapter 4: §4.21, §4.22, §4.23, §4.31
Chapter 49: §49.11, §49.81
This revision supersedes all earlier CSPGs carrying this number and/or addressing this subject. Previous dates on this subject: 1973, 3/75, 3/78, 2/82, 1/87, 7/04, 2/17, 4/18
Summary of Changes
|9/2019||Updated grade scope for consistency and clarification.|
- Clarified requirements for a district library program.
- Adjusted clarifications on the role of Library Science professionals vs. paraprofessional aides.
- Added references for Chapter 4 requirements for providing library science related content.
|2/2017||Clarified the role of Library Science professionals vs.|