CSPG 66 - Vocational Intern and Instructional Certificates
Modified: December 1, 2018
Vocational Instructional Education is the science or art of teaching fundamental concepts and skills in the specific vocational education/career and technical education programs.
Grade Level Scope of Certificate
An educator holding a valid Pennsylvania Vocational Intern or Vocational Instructional certificate is qualified to teach career and technical education courses in grades 7 through 12 in an approved vocational education program, providing the appropriate content certificate or occupational competency is held.
An educator holding a valid Pennsylvania Vocational Instructional certificate is qualified to teach skills within the area of their Occupational Competency Area (OCA) or certificate within an approved vocational education program. See CIP Codes.
- The certified educator may teach courses to students, including special education or gifted students, within the scope of the certificate.
- An educator certified in this area may:
- Provide professional development;
- Serve in the role of mentor/advisor; and
- Assist students in understanding how to read content area materials.
- Related Occupational Competency Areas – Type Code (0)
- When an Occupational Competency Area (OCA) has been approved by the Department as having related content to a specific Instructional certificate, that OCA may be added to the specific Instructional certificate and used in a vocational instructional program.
- Service on the related OCA is counted toward Instructional II certification and against the validity of the Instructional I certificate(s) held by the educator.
- Certificate Requirements, effective July 1, 2018:
- An applicant for a Vocational Intern certificate must present acceptable evidence of at least four years (8,000 hours) of wage-earning experience in the occupation to be taught.
- An applicant for a Vocational Instructional I certificate must present a minimum of two years (4,000 hours) wage-earing experience in the occupation to be taught. (A minimum of four years wage-earning experience in the occupation to be taught is required if following the intern route).
- An applicant for Vocational Instructional I is not required to present more than 18 credit hours in an approved program of vocational teacher education.
- An applicant for Vocational Instructional II is not required to have completed more than 42 credit hours in an approved program in the appropriate field of vocational education.
- Note: The total number of credit hours to be completed for the Level I and Level II approved program is not more than 60 credit hours.
- See Vocational Instructional Intern and Vocational Instructional Certificates for additional requirements.
Inactive and voluntary inactive Pennsylvania certificate holders may work for a total of 90 days per school year.
- No permit is required to work in the certification content area.
- A Type 06 Vocational Day-to-Day Substitute Emergency Permit is required when the individual is working outside of their certification content area.
- These two options combined cannot exceed 90 days per school year.
Program Specific Guidelines for Certification
22 PA Code: Chapter 4: §4.22, §4.23, §4.31, §339.41
Chapter 49: §49.11, §49.81, §49.131-132, §49.141-143, §49.151-152
PA Public School Code: §1202, §1204.2, §1205.2, §1212, §1604
This revision supersedes all earlier CSPGs carrying this number and/or addressing this subject. Previous printing dates on this subject: 3/75, 1/87, 7/04.
Summary of Changes
A note was added under Certification Clarification to clarify the total credit hour requirements for the completed Vocational I and II approved programs.
Certification Clarification section was updated:
- Added information on related Occupational Competency areas.
- Added updates effective 7/1/2018:
- Four years of work experience required for issuance of Vocational Intern certificate.
- Two years of work experience required for issuance of Vocational Instructional I certificate if not following the Intern route.
- 18 credits required for Vocational I in the approved program.
- 42 credits required for Vocational II in the approved program.
- Added information on Inactive and Voluntary Inactive certificates.
CSPG 66 – Vocational Intern and Vocational Instructional:
- Defined Grade Scope and Assignments.
- Certificate Clarifications:
- Standard certificate plus endorsement in an occupational area.
- Vocational Instructional certificate plus OCA.
- Vocational Intern certificate plus OCA.
CSPG 58 – Vocational Instructional and Vocational Intern 7-12:
- Standard certificate plus endorsement in occupational area.
- Vocational Instructional or Vocational Intern certificate plus OCA.
- Emergency permit plus endorsement in occupational area.
- Related certificate areas plus OCA.
CSPG 111 – Staffing Vocational Ed Programs for Special Education:
- PDE approved curriculum for Industrial Production and Maintenance may be offered to a class of special education students and taught by a person holding a certificate plus this OCA.
- Vocational certificates endorsed for Occupations-Retarded Youth enabled the holder to teach an exploratory experience with hand tools to special education students.
CSPG 37 – Assignment Scope of Industrial Arts Certificates:
- Revised Industrial Arts certificate and Unit Shops.
CSPG 94 – Staffing Industrial Education Programs:
- Trade and industrial courses:
- Require proper vocational instructional certificate for the area taught.
- Industrial Art certificate with appropriate endorsement is allowed for introductory courses.
- Vocational certificates that correspond to a particular unit shop may teach that unit shop.
- Certificates in Business Education, Distributive Education, Agriculture, and Home Economics may teach in either a general academic or vocational program.