CSPG 75 - Dental Hygienist (PK-12)
Educational Specialist Area Code 1830
Modified: August 17, 2023
Dental Hygiene instruction is the art and science of addressing the dental care needs of school-aged children, PK-12.
A Dental Hygienist serving in a Pennsylvania public
school must hold a Dental Hygienist license issued by
the Pennsylvania Department of State and be certified as a School Dental Hygienist by the
Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Grade Level Scope of Certificate
A person holding a valid PA certificate for Dental Hygienist is qualified to provide preventative dental hygiene services to students in grades PK-12.
An educator holding a valid PA Dental Hygienist certificate is qualified to:
- Develop and present educational and preventative dental health programs and services to students;
- Provide supplemental instruction in the care and preservation of teeth, dental appliances, and dental hygiene; and
- Perform dental screenings to students in lieu of a dentist's exam.
- A Dental Hygienist may not serve as a teacher of dental procedures as this requires a vocational instructional certificate.
- A State Board of Dentistry certificate does not meet the requirement for certification by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Program Specific Guidelines for Certification
24 P.S. §12-1212
24 P.S. §14-1401
24 P.S. §14-1403
24 P.S. §16-1604
22 Pa. Code §49.11
22 Pa. Code §49.101 – 4.105
28 PA Code §23.35
49 Pa. Code §33.205
This revision supersedes all earlier Certification Staffing Policy Guidelines (CSPGs) carrying this number and/or addressing this subject. Previous printing dates on this subject: 1973, 3/75, 3/78, 2/82, 1/87, 7/04.
Summary of Changes
|8/17/2023||Updated formatting and terminology|
|3/1/2018||Added information to clarify the CSPG.|