CSPG 9 - Service Requirements for Initial Supervisory and Administrative Certificates and Letters of Eligibility
Modified: February 1, 2020
The Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality has the responsibility to determine creditable service towards the requirements of the regulations and these guidelines.
Requirements and Process
Basic requirements for issuance of supervisory/administrative certificates and letters of eligibility:
All requests must be made by submitting the appropriate application and fee;
All candidates for supervisory and administrative certificates and letters of eligibility must submit evidence of the requisite professional service; and
All service evaluated for any certificate/letter identified in this Certification Staffing Policy Guideline (CSPG) must be rated as satisfactory.
Single area supervisory certificates require five years of professional school service in the area for which the certificate is sought.
- Curriculum and Instruction and Pupil Personnel Services supervisory certificates each require five years of professional certified service on a state issued public school certificate in the school program area for which the certificate is sought. A Curriculum and Instruction Supervisory certificate requires the service to be in an instructional area; a Pupil Personnel Services Supervisory certificate requires the service to be in an educational specialist area. The service for each must be (i) valid for the assignment in the state in which such service was performed, and (ii) comparable to Pennsylvania's Type 01 or 04 emergency permit or Intern, Level I or Level II certificate. Two of the five years of such certificated service may be:
- Salaried service (minimally 50%) as a regularly appointed college teacher in the certificate area when the employing postsecondary school or college is either state-approved or regionally accredited.
- Salaried service (minimally 50%) as a regularly appointed college supervisor of student or intern teachers or other collegiate-supervised field practicum in a state-approved teacher preparation/certification program in an area(s) for which the candidate is seeking the Pennsylvania supervisory certificate.
- Non-certificated service (minimally 50%) in the area for which the Pennsylvania supervisory certificate is requested, when performed in the public schools of a state which requires no specific state certificate for employment or assignment in such capacity.
- Full-time (100%) salaried service as a professional-level employee of a federal or state educational agency or a professional education organization when such service is primarily that of a policy-making, administrative, or field consultant role directly related to elementary and secondary school-level programs.
- Service (minimally 50%) as a teacher of adult courses (within the area for which the Pennsylvania supervisory certificate is sought) when offered by a school entity which is recognized by the respective state educational agency as a public school, licensed private school, or registered non-public non-licensed school, provided that the applicant held appropriate state certification for service in such a position.
Candidates for a Supervisor of Comprehensive Career and Technical Education certificate shall provide evidence of three years of satisfactory service as a state-certificated teacher of secondary-level Agriculture, Business Education areas, Distributive Education, Health Occupations, Family and Consumer Science, or Trade and Industrial Education (including cooperative education activities and occupational/technical curricula within such fields of career and technical education).
To be counted toward the service requirement, out-of-state service must have been in school entities recognized by the respective state educational agency as a public school, licensed private school, or registered non-public non-licensed school of secondary school level and on an appropriate state certificate.
Administrative certificates, including Principal and Career and Technical Administrative Director, require three years of relevant professional service which is professional service in an educational setting that is related to the instructional process.
Letters of Eligibility
Superintendent and Intermediate Unit Executive Director candidates must provide evidence of six years of professional service in state-approved elementary and secondary schools. The service must consist of six years of satisfactory service that includes three years of service (minimally 50%) as a supervisor or school administrator in a public school, state-licensed private academic school, or state education department-registered non-public non-licensed school.
Predetermination of Service
When a candidate for a supervisory certificate, administrative certificate, or letter of eligibility seeks departmental evaluation of their service
before enrolling in a program of study to meet the educational requirements for such certificate, submission of a formal application with fee must be submitted to the Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality.
Noncertificated service in Pennsylvania, including but not limited to business manager, athletic director, attendance officer, and teacher aide/paraprofessional.
Certificated service outside of Pennsylvania in positions that do not require certification in Pennsylvania, including but not limited to business manager, athletic director, attendance officer, and teacher aide/paraprofessional.
Service without appropriate certification in a position requiring a specific certificate.
22 Pa. Code §§49.161, §§49.163, §§49.172, §§49.182, 24 P.S. 12-1207.1 (d) (1) (ii), 24 P.S. 10-1003 (a) (2)
This revision supersedes all earlier CSPGs carrying this number and/or addressing this subject. Previous CSPG printing dates on this subject: 3/75, 1/87, 7/04,10/19
Summary of Changes
|2/1/2020||Updated terminology per Act 76 from “vocational” to “career and technical”|
- Removed certified service requirement for Principal, Vocational Administrative Director, and single subject supervisor certificates as well as Letters of Eligibility
- Removed Assistant Superintendent/Assistant IU Executive Director.
- Removed Certification Appeal Committee review of Pennsylvania Department of Education service.
|7/1/2004||Added examples of non-professional service, non-creditable service. |
CSPG 9 – Experience Requirements for Initial Supervisory and Administrative Certificates and Letters of Eligibility – includes experience requirements for:
- Supervisory certificates;
- Supervisor of Comprehensive Vocational Education;
- Administrative certificates – Principal (Elementary and Secondary);
- Vocational Administrative Director;
- Letter of Eligibility – Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent;
- Other policies affecting the crediting of experience; and
- Non-applicable service for meeting requirements.
- CSPG 9 – Determination of Qualifying Education Service to Meet Experience Requirements for Administrative and Supervisory Certificates. All requests to meet qualifying service were evaluated by the Certification Review Committee.
- CSPG 15 – Experience Requirements for the Supervisor of Trade and Industrial Education and Director of Vocational Education Certificates:
- Supervisor – five years in the trade/industrial area.
- Director – five years in trade/industrial, industrial arts, business education, distributive education, home economics, or a combination.
|1960 -Administration Section, page 96|
Contained separate requirement information for each specific title on the supervisory and administrative level; County and District Superintendent, Assistant County/Assistant District Superintendent; Supervising Principal, Assistant to Superintendent or Principal in Charge of Instruction or in Charge of Business Affairs, Principals – Elementary, Secondary, Comprehensive.