CSPG 90 - Supervisor of a Single Area (PK-12)
Modified: May 1, 2015
The Supervisor of a Single Area certificate involves the science or art of the knowledge and competence required in addressing the provision of supervision within the specified instructional or education service area of the supervisory certificate, when working with students in grades PreK-12.
Grade Level Scope of Certificate
A person holding a valid PA certificate as a Supervisor of a Single Area is qualified to serve and work in elementary, middle, secondary levels with grades PreK through 12 within the specified instructional or education service area, for example: Supervisor of Mathematics or Supervisor of Reading.
An educator holding a valid PA certificate as a Supervisor of a Single Area is qualified to perform the following:
Serve as a liaison between school administration and certified professional staff of a public school for the purpose of:
- Enhancing the attainment of the district’s expectations and goals by authorizing duties using judgment not equally shared by all professionally certified staff;
- Directing other certified persons;
- Providing direct input to administrators, which affects the employment, assignment, transfer, promotion, layoff, discharge or other similar personnel actions of other certified professional-level employees;
- Provide leadership in curriculum development, teaching state or professional organization standards, curriculum mapping and integration of technology into instructional design.
- An educator certified in this field may provide school staff development services regarding their collegial studies/skills.
- A Principal PK-12 certificate may be used for single area supervisory assignments at the building or district-wide level (CSPG #95.8)
The Supervisor of a Single Area is qualified for supervisory duties only in the area for which the certificate was issued.
Program Specific Guidelines for Certification.
22 PA Code: Chapter 49: §49.111, §49.102-49.103, §49.161
PA Public School Code: §1202, §1212, §1604
This revision supersedes all earlier CSPGs carrying this number and/or addressing this subject. Previous printing dates on this subject: 1973, 3/75, 3/78, 2/82, 1/87, 6/05