CSPG 90 - Supervisor of a Single Area (PK-12)
Supervisory Area Codes: 1415, 1815, 1829, 1855,
1877, 1891, 2515, 3215, 2815, 2827, 4415, 4815, 4897,
5227, 5915, 6415, 6815, 7215, 7615, 8415, 8815
Modified: June 15, 2023
The Supervisor of a Single Area certificate involves the science or art of the knowledge and competence required in addressing the provision of supervision within the specified instructional or education service area of the supervisory certificate when working with students in grades PK-12.
Grade Level Scope of Certificate
A person holding a valid PA certificate as a Supervisor of a Single Area is qualified to serve and work in elementary, middle, and secondary levels with grades PK through 12 within the specified instructional or education service area (Examples: Supervisor of Mathematics or Supervisor of Reading).
An educator holding a valid PA certificate as a Supervisor of a Single Area is qualified to serve as a liaison between school administration and certified professional staff of a public school for the following purposes:
- Enhancing the attainment of the district's expectations and goals by authorizing duties using judgment not equally shared by all professionally certified staff;
- Directing other certified educators who hold an instructional certificate in the relevant content area;
- Supervising and evaluating performance of certified educators within the relevant content area, as deemed appropriate by the Superintendent.
- Providing direct input to administrators which affects the employment, assignment, transfer, promotion, layoff, discharge or other similar personnel actions of other certified professional employees in the same content area;
- Providing leadership in curriculum development, teaching state or professional organization standards, curriculum mapping, and the integration of technology into instructional design.
- An educator certified in this field may provide school staff development services regarding their collegial studies/skills.
- A Principal PK-12 certificate may be used for single area supervisory assignments at the building or district-wide level (CSPG #95).
The Supervisor of a Single Area is qualified for supervisory duties only in the area for which the certificate was issued.
Program Specific Guidelines for Certification.
22 PA Code: Chapter 49: §49.111, §49.102-49.103, §49.161
PA Public School Code: §1202, §1212, §1604
This revision supersedes all earlier CSPGs carrying this number and/or addressing this subject. Previous printing dates on this subject: 1973, 3/75, 3/78, 2/82, 1/87, 6/05
Summary of Changes
- Updated terminology and formatting.
- Clarified that a supervisor may both direct and evaluate certified educators within the corresponding content area.