CSPG 91 - Supervisor of Special Education (Nursery-12)
Modified: May 1, 2015
The Supervisor of Special Education provides supervision of special education programs and services for school-aged children and youth in grades Nursery-12.
Grade Level Scope of Certificate
A person holding a valid PA certificate as a Supervisor of Special Education is qualified to serve and work in and with elementary, middle and secondary levels in grades Nursery through 12 in the special education requirements.
An educator holding a valid PA certificate as a Supervisor of Special Education is qualified to function as a liaison between the school administration and the certified professional special education staff of a public school for the purpose of:
- Enhancing the attainment of the district’s expectations and goals by authorizing activities using judgment not equally shared by all professionally special education certified staff;
- Directing other certified special education persons;
- Providing direct input to administrators, which affects the employment, assignment, transfer, promotion, layoff, discharge or other similar personnel actions of other professional-level employees certified in special education.
- A Principal PK-12 certificate may be used for an assignment as a Special Education Supervisor to supervise and direct special education staff at the building or district-wide level (CSPG #95.8).
- An educator certified in this field may provide school staff development services regarding their collegial studies/skills.
The Supervisor of Special Education is qualified for supervisory duties only in the special education area.
If a Supervisor of Pupil Personnel Services is assigned responsibility for a special education program, including the responsibilities of evaluating and supervising special education staff and instruction, that person must also hold a Supervisor of Special Education certificate.
Program Specific Guidelines for Certification.
22 PA Code: Chapter 49: §49.11, §49.102-49.103
PA Public School Code: §1202, §1212, §1604
This revision supersedes all earlier CSPGs carrying this number and/or addressing this subject. Previous printing dates on this subject: 1973, 3/75, 3/78, 2/82, 1/87, 7/04