CSPG 95 - Principal (PK-12)
Modified: October 1, 2019
The School Principal certification qualifies the individual to provide instructional leadership and administrative supervision of any school when working with students in grades PK-12 within a school entity.
Grade Level Scope of Certificate
A person holding a valid Pennsylvania certificate as a PK-12 Principal is qualified to serve at the elementary, middle and secondary levels (grades PK through 12).
An educator holding a valid Pennsylvania certificate as a PK-12 Principal is qualified to perform the following:
- Instructional leadership focusing on teaching and learning.
- Supervision and direction of certified and non-certified staff persons required for school operation exclusive of directing health services controlled by the Nurse Practice Act.
- Supervision of the district’s curriculum and instructional program or pupil personnel services program.
- Assessing performance of certified staff persons.
- Provision of direct input to school superintendent, regarding matters which substantially affect the employment, assignment, transfer, promotion, layoff, discharge or other similar personnel actions of certified professional-level employees.
- Coordination of school interactions with school boards, community organizations, special interest groups, parents/family members and other members of the community.
- Strategic planning for fiscal operations and resource and technology management for school building.
- Serve as the supervisor of a single instructional or single pupil service area.
Older Pennsylvania public school certificates which are applicable for these duties include the following: K-6 Elementary School Principal and 7-12 Secondary School Principal may serve as an administrator within the grade level scope of their administrative certificate, as well as the principal of a middle level (5-8) building. Individuals may also serve as a Director of Elementary Education or Director of Secondary Education under the appropriate administrative certificate.
Program Specific Guidelines for Certification.
2 PA Code: Chapter 4: §4.22, §4.23, §4.31;
Chapter 49: §49.11
PA Public School Code: §1202, §1212, §1604, §1101
THIS REVISION SUPERSEDES ALL EARLIER CSPG’S CARRYING THIS NUMBER AND/OR ADDRESSING THIS SUBJECT. PREVIOUS PRINTING DATES ON THIS SUBJECT: 1973, 3/1975, 3/1978, 2/1982, 1/1987, 5/1992, 7/2004, 6/2010, 8/2013
Summary of Changes
|10/2019||Updated grade scope for consistency and clarification.|
|8/2013||Removes the requirement for a principal to serve five years in an instructional or educational specialist certificate area in order to be assigned as a Single Area Supervisor.|
|6/2010||An Elementary K-6 certified Principal or a Secondary 7-12 certified Principal may serve as a Principal or Assistant Principal in a 5th-8th grade middle school building.|
- Addresses Principal K-12, Elementary Principal K-6, Secondary Principal 7-12 certificates only.
- No. 95:8 – A certified Principal K-12 (or an educator who is certified as an Elementary K-6 Principal and a Secondary 7-12 Principal) may serve as a Single Area Supervisor if he/she has served at least five service years on a single area instructional or educational specialist certificate.
- A certified Elementary K-6 Principal may serve at the 7th and 8th grade level in a middle level building.
- A certified Secondary 7-12 Principal may serve at the 6th grade level in a middle level building.
|5/1992 CSPG #60|
No. 69:6 – The policy is discontinued and effective with the beginning of school year 1987-88 that those holding a Principal’s certificate or Vocational Administrative Director’s certificate and a teaching certificate or educational specialist certificate, who, in accordance with Department of Education policy, were assigned to a supervisory position in their area/field of specialization. Persons assigned as a supervisor of a single curriculum or pupil service area must hold the appropriate supervisory certificate.
|1975 CSPG #69|
- Certified Elementary and Secondary Principals may serve as Principals or Assistant Principals at approve middle schools.
- Certificates no longer issued but still valid for service (No. 69:2): Director of Vocational Education; Supervising Principal; Comprehensive Principal; Assistant to the Superintendent – Business Affairs; and Assistant to the Superintendent-Instruction.
|1956||Addresses the following Principal certificates: Elementary Principal; Secondary Principal; and Comprehensive Principal (issued as Provisional or Permanent).|