CSPG 96 - Superintendent PK-12
Modified: December 1, 2021
The Superintendent certificate involves the science or art of knowledge, competence, and leadership required in the provision of administrative services when working with school-aged youth in grades PK-12 in a school entity.
Grade-Level Scope of Certificate
A person holding a valid Pennsylvania Superintendent certificate with the Superintendent’s Letter of Eligibility is qualified for assignment to administer school operations.
An administrator holding a valid Letter of Eligibility as a Superintendent is qualified to administer:
- Instructional leadership focusing on:
Supervision and evaluation of instructional and non-instructional staff persons required for school operation.Strategic planning for fiscal operations and resource technology management for school buildings.Budget planning and resource allocation.Service as a Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction, Supervisor of Pupil Personnel Services, Supervisor of Special Education, Elementary, Secondary or PK-12 School Principal, and Executive Director of an Intermediate Unit.
- Strategic planning and curriculum development;
- Effective school management;
- Alignment of district curricula with state standards;
- Decision-making and problem solving that is data driven;
- Professional development that focuses on student learning; and
- Instructional leadership and assessment of district accomplishments.
- An educator with a Superintendent’s Letter of Eligibility may not serve as a Director of Career and Technical Education without a Career and Technical Administrative Director certificate.
- An educator employed with the Superintendent’s Certificate/Letter of Eligibility may continue to supervise career and technical education programs as long as this supervision is less than 50 percent of their assignment.
Program Specific Guidelines for Certification
PA Public School Code: §1202, §1212, §1604
22 PA Code: §49.172, §49.182
Chapter 339: §339.41(4), §339.41(5)
This revision supersedes all earlier CSPGs carrying this number and/or addressing this subject. Previous printing dates on this subject: 1973, 3/75, 3/78, 2/82, 1/87, 8/04.
Summary of Changes
per Act 76 from “vocational” to “career and technical”.
Clarified Restrictions of a Superintendent to serve as Vocational Administrative Director per Chapter 339.41-42.
A Superintendent was permitted to additionally be assigned as Vocational Administrative Director and Supervisor of Special Education.
CSPG #46 – Letter of Eligibility:
- Letter of Eligibility may be used to serve as a Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent, Executive Director of an Intermediate Unit, Assistant Executive Director of an Intermediate Unit, Curriculum and Instruction Supervisor, Pupil Personnel Services Supervisor, and Principal of a Secondary, Middle, or Elementary School.
- A certificate for Executive Director or Assistant Executive Director may not be used to serve as a Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent.
- An Acting Superintendent may be appointed without a Letter of Eligibility for one year.
- A substitute District Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent may be appointed to fill a temporary approved leave when the regular Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent is absent on an approved leave provided that the appointed substitute holds the appropriate Letter of Eligibility.
CSPG #69 – Administrative Certificates
Letter of Eligibility for District Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent may be used to serve as Principal, Curriculum and Instruction Supervisor, and Pupil Personnel Services Supervisor.