CSPG 97 - Vocational Education Director 7-12
Modified: August 1, 2018
The Vocational Administrative Director certification requires knowledge and competence in the management of a vocational-technical school program that educates students in grades 7-12 in the areas of vocational education/career technical education.
Grade Level Scope of Certificate
A person holding a valid PA certificate as a Vocational Administrative Director is qualified to manage school operations and provide educational leadership in an area vocational-technical school or career and technical center (CTC), grades 7-12.
An educator holding a valid Vocational Administrative Director’s certificate is qualified to provide services required in the operation of any area vocational-technical school or CTC, to include:
- Serving as a vocational education instructional leader;
- Supervising and evaluating certificated and non-certificated staff persons required for school operation;
- Addressing strategic planning for fiscal operations and resource and technology management for school buildings; and
- Addressing budget planning and resource allocation.
- Vocational Supervision: A vocational supervisory certificate or vocational director certificate is mandated when 50 percent or more of an assignment is related to supervising vocational education programs.
- Chief Administrator of the area school:
- The Director of Vocational Education is not a commissioned school officer.
- Area vocational-technical boards shall designate the executive director of the intermediate unit or a chief school administrator of the participating school district to serve in the capacity of the chief administrator of the area vocational-technical school (24 P.S. §1-101 through 27-2701).
- An educator with a Superintendent’s Letter of Eligibility may not serve as a Director of Vocational Education without a Vocational Administrative Director certificate.
- An educator employed with the Superintendent’s Certificate/Letter of Eligibility may continue to supervise vocational education programs as long as this supervision is less than 50 percent of their assignment.
Program Specific Guidelines for Certification
22 PA Code: Chapter 4: §4.22, §4.23, §4.31
Chapter 49: §49.11, §49.81, §49.163
Chapter 339: §339.41(4), §339.41(5)
PA Public School Code: §1202, §1212, §1604
This revision supersedes all earlier CSPGs carrying this number and/or addressing this subject. Previous printing dates on this subject: 1973, 3/75, 3/78, 2/82, 1/87, 7/04
Summary of Changes
|8/2018||Corrected and clarified appropriate certification for a Vocational Director.|
|7/2004||It was incorrectly stated that a District Superintendent/Letter of Eligibility was an appropriate certification to be assigned as a Vocational Director.|
CSPG #43: A certificate for Director of Vocational Education or Vocational Administrative Director, assigned as a Vocational Administrative Director or Assistant Administrative Director:
- May perform the coordinative/supervisory functions in the total field of vocational education as part of his/her appointed administrative position.
- The administrative certificates do not qualify the holder for an assignment as Supervisor of Comprehensive Vocational Education.
CSPG #69,3(d): The Director of Vocational Education administers:
- An Area Vocational Technical School and its Vocational Extension (Post Graduate and Adult) programs; or
- In a comprehensive high school under the direction of a Secondary School Principal.
- He/she directs the Vocational Education Program when such a program is not under the supervision of a person holding Supervisory certificates for the specific fields of Vocational Education.