CSPG 97 - Career and Technical Administrative Director 7-12
Modified: January 1, 2020
The Career and Technical
Administrative Director certification requires knowledge and competence in the
management of a career and technical school program that educates students in
Grade Level Scope of Certificate
A person holding a valid PA
certificate as a Career and Technical Administrative Director is qualified to
manage school operations and provide educational leadership in an area career
and technical school or career and technical center (CTC), grades 7-12.
An educator holding a valid Career and Technical Administrative Director's certificate is qualified to provide services required in the operation of any area career and technical school or CTC, to include:
- Serving as a career and technical education instructional leader;
- Supervising and evaluating certificated and non-certificated staff persons required for school operation;
- Addressing strategic planning for fiscal operations and resource and technology management for school buildings; and
- Addressing budget planning and resource allocation.
- Career and Technical Supervision: A career and technical supervisory certificate or career and technical director certificate is mandated when 50 percent or more of an assignment is related to supervising career and technical education programs.
- Chief Administrator of the area school:
- The Director of Career and Technical Education is not a commissioned school officer.
- Area career and technical boards shall designate the executive director of the intermediate unit or a chief school administrator of the participating school district to serve in the capacity of the chief administrator of the area career and technical school (24 P.S. §1-101 through 27-2701).
- An educator with a Superintendent's Letter of Eligibility may not serve as a Director of Career and Technical Education without a Career and Technical Administrative Director certificate.
- An educator employed with the Superintendent's Certificate/Letter of Eligibility may continue to supervise career and technical education programs as long as this supervision is less than 50 percent of their assignment.
Program Specific Guidelines for Certification
22 PA Code: Chapter 4: §4.22, §4.23, §4.31
Chapter 49: §49.11, §49.81, §49.163
Chapter 339: §339.41(4), §339.41(5)
PA Public School Code: §1202, §1212, §1604
This revision supersedes all earlier CSPGs carrying this number and/or addressing this subject. Previous printing dates on this subject: 1973, 3/75, 3/78, 2/82, 1/87, 7/04, 8/18.
Summary of Changes
per Act 76 from “ vocational” to “career and technical”|
|8/2018||Corrected and clarified appropriate certification for a Vocational Director.|
|7/2004||It was incorrectly stated that a District Superintendent/Letter of Eligibility was an appropriate certification to be assigned as a Vocational Director.|
CSPG #43: A certificate for Director of Vocational Education or Vocational Administrative Director, assigned as a Vocational Administrative Director or Assistant Administrative Director:
- May perform the coordinative/supervisory functions in the total field of vocational education as part of his/her appointed administrative position.
- The administrative certificates do not qualify the holder for an assignment as Supervisor of Comprehensive Vocational Education.
CSPG #69,3(d): The Director of Vocational Education administers:
- An Area Vocational Technical School and its Vocational Extension (Post Graduate and Adult) programs; or
- In a comprehensive high school under the direction of a Secondary School Principal.
- He/she directs the Vocational Education Program when such a program is not under the supervision of a person holding Supervisory certificates for the specific fields of Vocational Education.