Begin Main Content Area

​Substitute Teaching in Pennsylvania

If you are interested in becoming a substitute teacher, please contact the school district where you wish to apply for more information on requirements, processes, and procedures. The hiring district completes the hiring process, including setting the compensation rate and designating assignments.

If you hold a Pennsylvania public educator certificate or a professional-level out of state educator certificate, you may be eligible to become a day-to-day substitute. Requirements for day-to-day substitutes:

  • Valid Pennsylvania educator certificate or out of state certificate
  • Bachelor’s or higher degree (or foreign equivalency) if not certified
  • Background clearances
  • U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien status (green card)

If you do not hold the proper certification but have a conferred bachelor’s or higher degree, a public school entity can hire you by requesting an emergency permit. An emergency permit for day-to-day substitutes is valid for one (1) school year. A district can request unlimited re-issuances of emergency permits for day-to-day substitutes. A public-school entity may also hire you to serve as a classroom monitor without a ​degree if you meet the criteria established in Act 91 of 2021. 

Pennsylvania educators with inactive certificates may substitute for up to a total of 180 days per school year.

Private schools in Pennsylvania also hire substitute teachers, however, private schools may have different requirements for substitute teachers – please contact the school directly for more information on their specific requirements.

Please note: clearances are required of all substitutes in the state of Pennsylvania. More information on the required clearances.