- Developing foundational skills (book handling, print concepts, phonological awareness, phonics/word recognition, and fluency).
- Establishing the development of word recognition skills, vocabulary, and comprehension skills/strategies.
- Practicing fluency daily.
- Engaging in direct, explicit, systematic, differentiated instruction and interventions.
- Employing complex oral language and engaging in structured language and literacy learning tasks which promote interactive play and inquiry.
- Participating in peer-assisted or collaborative learning.
- Participating in Kindergarten pre-writing.
- Writing for different purposes and audiences.
- Engaging in systematic and explicit instruction in basic writing skills including handwriting, spelling, and grammar.
- Writing daily with guidance for a variety of purposes.
Speaking & Listening
- Participating daily in a teacher-created environment to practice speaking and listening skills during discussions (collaborative communication).
- Establishing skills of being a good listener, taking turns, collaborating, and supporting ideas with facts.
- Utilizing conventions of standard English grammar, usage, and mechanics, as well as learning other ways to use language to convey meaning effectively.
- Focusing on the use of language as a tool for communication - as a means for writers to express themselves with style and clarity, as a means for speakers to express ideas clearly, and as a means for readers to understand the author's explicit and implicit message.
Utilize book handing skills.
Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of print…
Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes)…
Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words…
Read emergent-reader text with purpose and understanding.
CC.1.2.K.A / CC.1.3.K.A
With prompting and support, identify the main idea and retell key details of text / With prompting and support, retell familiar stories including key details.
CC.1.2.K.B / CC.1.3.K.B
With prompting and support, answer questions about key details in a text.
CC.1.2.K.C / CC.1.3.K.C
With prompting and support, make a connection between two individuals, events, ideas… / With prompting and support, identify characters, settings, and major events...
CC.1.2.K.E / CC.1.3.K.E
Identify parts of a book…and parts of a text… / Recognize common types of text.
CC.1.2.K.G / CC.1.3.K.G
Answer questions to describe the relationship between illustrations and the text in which they appear / Make connections between the illustrations and the text in a story…
CC.1.2.K.H / CC.1.3.K.H
With prompting and support, identify the reasons an author gives to support points in a text / Compare and contrast the adventures and experiences of characters in familiar stories.
CC.1.2.K.K / CC.1.3.K.I
Determine/clarify the meaning of unknown or multiple-meaning words and phrases…
CC.1.2.K.J / CC.1.3.K.J
Use words and phrases acquired through conversations, reading, being read to…
CC.1.2.K.L / CC.1.3.K.K Actively engage in group reading activities with purpose and understanding.
CC.1.4.K.B / CC.1.4.K.H / CC.1.4.K.N
Use a combination of drawing, dictating, and writing… / Form an opinion by choosing between two given topics / Establish who and what the narrative will be about.
CC.1.4.K.C / CC.1.4.K.I / CC1.4.K.O
With prompting and support, generate ideas and details to convey information… / Support the opinion with reasons / Describe experiences and events.
CC.1.4.K.E / CC.1.4.K.P
With prompting and support, illustrate using details and dictate/write using descriptive words / Recount a single event…tell about events in order…provide a reaction…
CC.1.4.K.F / CC.1.4.K.L / CC.1.4.K.R
Demonstrate a grade-appropriate command of the conventions of standard English grammar, usage, capitalization, punctuation, and spelling…
Write routinely over short time frames.
Participate in collaborative conversations with peers and adults in small and larger groups.
Ask and answer questions about key details in a text read aloud or presented orally…
Ask and answer questions…to seek help, get information, or clarify something...
Share stories, familiar experiences, and interests, speaking clearly enough to be understood by all audiences using appropriate volume.
Speak audibly and express thoughts, feelings, and ideas clearly.
Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English when speaking…