Teacher Certification Assessment
Individuals who currently hold either an Instructional I or an Instructional II teaching certification who wish to add Safety/Driver Education to their certification will need to pass the Pennsylvania Safety Driver Education Teacher Certification Assessment (PSDETCA). Information regarding test directions, test application, and test dates and times is below:
Teacher Aide Application (PDE-283) (PDF) School districts and LEAs may employ teacher aides to teach the practical driving phase of a standardized driver education program, see 24 P.S. § 15-1519(b). The procedure is as follows:
- The local chief school administrator must make a request to PDE for employment of a Teacher Aide
- Driver Education Teacher Aide Application PDE-283 must be completed and submitted along with all supporting documents
- Applicant must pass a theoretical examination administered by PDE
- Applicant must pass a practical examination administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation
The applicant must possess the following qualifications:
- Satisfactory completion of both the theoretical and practical examinations.
- Possess a high school diploma.
- Have a motor vehicle operator's record (Three-Year Driving Abstract) free of violation of "The Vehicle Code" and other traffic laws and free of accidents.
- Completed a three-credit course in driver education.
- Must complete an additional nine hours of credit in General and Traffic Safety Education within a three-year period of employment.
- Be eligible according to the provisions in section 1209 of the Public School Code of 1949.