Secondary Career and Technical Education Subsidy
The enacted 2019-2020 budget includes $66,639,000 for the Secondary Career and Technical Education Subsidy (SCTES).
The formula for the SCTES is described in section 2502.8 of the Pennsylvania Public School Code.
Reimbursement is provided for the following vocational programs: agriculture education, distributive education, health occupations education, home economics education (gainful), business education, technical education, trade and industrial education, or any other occupational-oriented program approved by the Secretary of Education.
The subsidy is calculated as follows:
- Determine the vocational average daily membership (VADM) by: multiplying the average daily membership of students in vocational programs in a career and technology center by 0.21; multiplying the average daily membership of students in vocational programs in a school district (SD) or charter school by 0.17.
- Determine the based earned for reimbursement (BER) using the state median actual instruction expense per weighted average daily membership (AIE/WADM) and the equalized mills (EqM):
BER = State Median AIE/WADM – Highest EqM – SD EqM x $200
Highest EqM – Lowest EqM
- The formula amount equals the lesser of the AIE/WADM or the BER multiplied by the greater of the market value/personal income aid ratio or 0.3750 multiplied by the VADM
- Beginning in 2019-2020, payments will not be proportionately reduced in accordance with section 2502.8 (f).
- The following files provide enacted and final funding allocations for the 2019-2020 and 2018-2019 fiscal years, respectively.
2019-2020 Estimated Secondary Career and Technical Education Subsidy (Excel)
2018-2019 Final Secondary Career and Technical Education Subsidy (Excel)