The Pennsylvania Information Management System (PIMS) is a statewide longitudinal data system for the collection and reporting of unit-level educational data.
PIMS was developed with the purpose of:
- Allowing the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) to meet federal and state reporting requirements;
- Streamlining the reporting processes from educational institutions to PDE and the U.S. Department of Education;
- Reporting timely and accurate education data through standardized and ad hoc reporting capabilities;
- Improving educational decision-making through the use of high-quality data and decision support tools; and,
- Providing longitudinal data on educational progress over time.
Act 24 of 2011 authorizes PDE to collect unit-level data that are mandated by state or federal statute or regulation from postsecondary institutions. Currently PDE only collects unit-level data that are mandated by federal statute or regulation.
Postsecondary Data Collection Opt-Out Process
Students attending postsecondary institutions in Pennsylvania may opt out of a commonwealth data collection. Students are not permitted to opt out of federally mandated collections. PDE will notify institutions in advance of a commonwealth data collection with instructions for notifying students of their right to opt-out of the commonwealth collection.
Postsecondary Perkins Collections
PIMS Postsecondary Perkins CTE Collections
PIMS Perkins CTE Follow-Up Survey