CSPG 8 - Continuing Professional Development
August 1, 2014
Act 48 of 1999 requires educators holding Pennsylvania Instructional I and II, Educational Specialist I and II, Supervisory, Vocational Instructional I and II and Vocational Supervisory certificates to complete continuing education requirements every five years.
Act 45 of 2007 requires Pennsylvania certified administrators serving as Principals, Assistant or Vice Principals, Superintendents, Assistant Superintendents, Intermediate Unit Executive Directors, Intermediate Unit Assistant Executive Directors and Vocational Administrative Directors to meet Pennsylvania Inspired Leadership (PIL) continuing education requirements every five years.
Active – Indicates the certificate holder met the Act 48/Act 45 requirements. Educators who are hired as temporary professionals or professionals by a public school entity must maintain an active certificate.
Inactive – Indicates the certificate holder did not meet the Act 48/Act 45 requirements. Inactive educators may not be hired as temporary or professional employees by public school entities. Inactive educators may serve 90 days per school year in the area of their certificate scope.
Voluntary Inactive – Indicates the certificate holder requested and was granted permission by the Pennsylvania Department of Education to have the certificate placed on inactive status, thereby suspending the requirements for continuing professional education. The individual can reactivate the certificate at any time by meeting the continuing professional education requirements. Voluntary inactive educators may serve 90 days per school year in the area of their certificate scope. Actively employed certificate holders may not request voluntary inactive status.
Valid – Indicates the certificate holder is eligible to serve in the certificate area. See CSPG #3.
Invalid – Indicates the certificate holder is not eligible to serve in the certificate area.
Lapsed – Indicates the level I certificate has not been converted to a level II certificate within the required number of service years. Individuals with this status may not serve on the certificate in commonwealth public schools. Please note that level I certificates are only marked as lapsed when the Department becomes aware of and confirms that the individual has served on the certificate beyond the service year limitation.
- The first Act 48 period begins on the effective date of issuance of the educator’s initial level I certificate.
- All certificate holders must complete continuing professional development requirements regardless of employment status.
- To complete Act 48 requirements the educator must earn six college credits, six Intermediate Unit credits, 180 hours of approved continuing professional education, or any combination of the above to maintain active certification status.
- Educators may check Act 48 credit status on the PERMS webpage.
- Certified administrators who are not currently serving as Principals, Assistant or Vice Principals, Superintendents, Assistant Superintendents., Intermediate Unit Executive Directors, Intermediate Unit Assistant Executive Directors, or Vocational Administrative Directors, but are serving in other positions such as Pupil Personnel Services Supervisor, Curriculum and Instruction Supervisor, or Supervisor of a single area, DO NOT fall under Act 45 requirements and MUST COMPLY with Act 48 requirements.
- There is a provision in Act 48 for granting an extension of the five-year period due to extenuating circumstances. Extenuating circumstances may include active military duty, a medical disability, living outside the United States for an extended period of time, financial hardship or other extenuating circumstances.
- See the PA Inspired Leadership Program (PIL) webpage for information on Act 45 requirements.
Act 48 of 1999, Act 45 of 2007