Begin Main Content Area

School-Based ACCESS Program

Funds that are reimbursed from the federal Medicaid School-Based ACCESS Program (SBAP) for direct health-related services are kept in Local Education Agency (LEA) specific accounts at the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE). To receive these funds, each LEA must complete the electronic form PDE-352 and submit it to the Bureau of Special Education (BSE) along with a short narrative explaining what the funds will be used for and how they will expand or enhance special education programs. The chief administrative officer must sign this form. Funds may be used to support the education of any special education student, not only those who are Medicaid eligible. Once the funds have been approved for disbursement, PDE-352 is sent to the Comptroller's office for processing. Funds are transferred to the LEA's local bank account approximately two months after the request is received by BSE. Narratives are filed along with copies of the PDE-352. Digital copies of form PDE-352 should be submitted by email to

Do not send copies of invoices or purchase orders. Provide a general description of the items or services purchased and their effect on the special education program. If possible, bundle several small requests and submit on one form. It is more cost effective to process two or three large requests per year per school district than ten or twelve small ones. The Comptroller's office will not process requests that are under $1,000.00.

There are several restrictions on the use of ACCESS funds. They must be used within the special education program. They may not be used to supplant professional positions that the LEA has been supporting. They may not be transferred to the district general fund and used outside the special education program. The following list of acceptable uses of ACCESS money is a sampling.

Allowable School-Based ACCESS Expenditures

(Digital Form PDE-352 should be submitted by email to


  • New professional special education positions (teachers, therapists)- salaries and benefits Special Education classroom instructional aides-salaries and benefits
  • Personal Care aides-salaries and benefits
  • School Based Access Program coordinators-salaries and benefits
  • Nurses-salaries/benefits for percentage of time spent with special education students Clerical support staff for ACCESS record keeping-salaries and benefits
  • Clerical support staff for the special education program for the time spent in direct student support (typing, filing, mailing of IEPs, ERs, Invitations to IEP meetings) salaries and benefits.
  • Substitutes for special education classes for teachers attending IEP meetings or trainings

Access Program Costs

  • Copiers 
  • Computers 
  • Paper Supplies
  • Equipment Maintenance 
  • FAX machine
  • Printers
  • File Cabinets
  • Internet access for purposes of accessing Leader’s Web-Based Program; e.g. SBAP Billing program and IEP writer program


  • CPR and First Aid Training
  • Conferences and Workshops for Special Educators and Administrators Inclusion Conferences and Workshops for Regular Educators
  • Parent Training for Special Education
  • Manuals or other materials required for training programs


  • Student computers
  • Staff computers when they are used for writing IEPs, ERs, lesson or treatment plans, or record keeping
  • Specialized furniture for students
  • Treatment room furniture
  • Furniture needed for computer use
  • Televisions and VCR s (with closed caption capability)
  • Portable stair climbers
  • Wheel chairs
  • Computer networking
  • Swimming pool lifts
  • Therapy equipment

Contracted Services

  • Psychological testing
  • Specialized transportation outside the regular school transportation system Training for staff
  • Community based program costs
  • Maintenance contracts on computers, copiers, etc.


  • Refitting specialized buses with car seats, seat belts, etc. 
  • Specialized buses for special education transportation 


  • Personal care supplies for special education students 
  • Health room supplies for special education students
  • Paper supplies needed for School Based ACCESS Program, IEPs, ERs, or other student specific documents

Student and Curriculum Specific

  • Field trips that are tied to the curriculum
  • Speakers and programs brought into the school
  • Programs above the ESY provided by the district such as swimming lessons, additional community based programs
  • Tests Books Software
  • Workbooks
  • Adaptive feeding equipment
  • IEP writer programs and support /training needed for implementation Instructional materials
  • Teacher manuals
  • Tuition which is the result of a settlement agreement.