No. ESSA removed the Highly Qualified Teacher requirements of section 1119 as amended by NCLB. All educators in commonwealth public schools must meet Pennsylvania's certification statutory and regulatory requirements.
Per section 1111(g)(2)(J) of ESEA, as amended by ESSA, all teachers teaching in a program supported with Title I funding must meet appropriate state certification and licensure requirements.
No. ESSA amended ESEA and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) by removing the Highly Qualified Teacher requirements. All educators in Commonwealth public schools must meet Pennsylvania's certification statutory and regulatory requirements.
An applicant must complete an approved special education certification program.
Pennsylvania Special Education PreK-8 (age 3-14) educators must hold one of the following certificates: Grades PreK-4, Grades 4-8, Early Childhood N-3, Elementary K-6, Reading Specialist, or another PK-12 Instructional content certificate.
Pennsylvania Special Education 7-12 (ages 11-21) educators must hold one of the following certificates: secondary (7-12) subject area, Reading Specialist, or another PK-12 Instructional content certificate.
education teachers who teach core content in a self-contained classroom only
need a valid Pennsylvania Special Education certificate with the appropriate
age and grade level.
Yes. A school entity may request an exception to the grade limitations from
the Pennsylvania Department of Education in accordance with 22 Pa. Code § 49.85
(d). See CSPG
No. However, special education teachers that obtained the designation in content areas through the HOUSSE program will continue to see the designations on their Teacher Information Management System (TIMS) profile and on the public website.
34 CFR § 300.156 requires educators to hold a special education certificate and
must be included in the 75 percent certified staff.
In accordance with Pennsylvania's Charter School law, 75 percent of professional staff members of a charter school must hold appropriate state certification for their assignment (24 P.S. § 17-1724-A). The remaining 25 percent may be uncertified in accordance with 24 P.S. § 17-1724-A(b).
Under ESSA, there are no specific federal requirements for special education paraprofessionals. There are requirements for paraprofessionals utilized in Title I funded programs. (See Question 12 related to Title I paraprofessional requirements.)
Special education paraprofessionals must meet Pennsylvania's regulatory requirements contained in 22 Pa. Code §14.105, which include one of the following:
- Have completed at least two years of postsecondary study.
- Possess an associate degree or higher.
- Meet a rigorous standard of quality as demonstrated through a state or local assessment.
Each school year, Instructional paraprofessionals shall provide evidence of 20 hours of staff development activities related to their assignment.
These requirements remain in effect, and districts must continue to comply with Chapter 14 requirements related to paraprofessionals.
- Section 1111(g)(2)(M) of the ESEA, as amended by ESSA, requires each state to have "professional standards for paraprofessionals working in a program supported with funds under [Title I, Part A], including qualifications that were in place on the day before the date of enactment of the [ESSA]."
- Accordingly, states and LEAs must continue to ensure that each paraprofessional who is hired by the LEA and works in a program supported by Title I, Part A funds has a secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent and has achieved one of the following:
- Completed at least two years of study at an institution of higher education;
- Obtained an associate's or higher degree; or
- Met a rigorous standard of quality and can demonstrate, through a formal state or local academic assessment, knowledge of, and the ability to assist in instructing, reading, writing, and mathematics.
Paraprofessionals who only serve as translators or who only conduct parental involvement activities must have a secondary diploma or its equivalent but do not have to meet the additional requirements.
LEAs must continue to submit the data elements in PIMS for other mandated reporting.
HQT will not be calculated.