Begin Main Content Area

​American Rescue Plan (ARP) Homeless Children and Youth

The American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act set aside Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) funds to provide support and resources for homeless children and youth.

This ARP Homeless Children and Youth (HCY) program provides $24 million to LEAs to allow them to identify homeless children and youth, provide wraparound services due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, and make it easier for homeless students to participate in school activities like in-person instruction and extracurricular activities.

This ARP–HCY fund will allocate 25 percent of the funding (referred to as ARP–HCY I) to eight McKinney-Vento funded regional offices and the remaining 75 percent (referred to as ARP–HCY II) will be distributed using a formula calculating the LEA allocation under Title I Part A of the ESEA and the number of identified homeless children and youth served during the 2018-2019 school year. These funds are available for use from July 1, 2021 through September 30, 2024.