Special Education Medical ACCESS
School-Based ACCESS Program Guidelines
Directions for Preparing PDE-352
Funding Source: Federal
Grant Program Name: ACCESS
ACCESS Form PDE-352 (PDF)
Digital copies should be emailed to:
- Eligible agencies may contact Sivic Solutions Group (SSG) at 1-877-916-3222 or via email at email@example.com for information regarding the ACCESS program.
- Participating agencies may contact the Bureau of Special Education, Carla Alfieri, 717-346-0724 or via email at
RA-EDSBAPFUNDING@pa.gov for information concerning draw down of funds.
- Supports Local Education Agency health and special educational programs.
- Authorized by the Medicare Catastrophic Coverage Act of 1988 which made State Educational Agencies eligible for federal reimbursement for the related services they provide to students who have Medical Assistance.
- Is a streamlined process to gain MA reimbursements for the cost of providing related services to students.
- Is a cooperative effort between the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE), the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare (DPW), the Health Care Financing Agency (HCFA), and Sivic
Solutions Group (SSG).
- Funds may be used to enhance or enlarge special education and health services.
- Training, support services, and data processing are supplied through the contractor, SSG.
Restrictions on Funding
Funding may not be used:
- For programs or services outside the LEA special education program
- To make capital improvements to property
- To supplant programs or personnel
Eligible Entities and/or Partners
Formula Grants Only
Intermediate Units, School Districts, Charter Schools, State Owned Schools, and MAWA Early Intervention Programs.
Method of Distribution
- Formula grant program; 50% of amount billed for direct services is returned to the Local Education Agency and 25% of Administrative Claims Computable Claim is returned to the Local Education Agency.
- Reimbursements for Direct Services are deposited by the Department of Education into restricted accounts for each LEA.
- Each LEA may request draw down of these funds by submitting form PDE-352 and a short narrative describing the ways in which the money will be used to enlarge or enhance their special education program.
- Reimbursements for Administrative Time Studies are paid quarterly directly to each LEA.
PDE Bureau/Agency Responsible:
Bureau of Special Education
Carla Alfieri, 717-346-0724